Here's my heart: that we might create a haven for our husbands, who see so much of the filth in our world on a daily basis. That we might cover our husbands' departments with prayer-prayer for safety & peace and spiritual revival. That hearts would change in our country for LE, that LEOs would be respected.

Sticky:

For any new visitors,the first post is here, if you are interested in the purpose of this blog.

Scroll down for recent posts.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thankfulness

In the LEO world, there are a lot of things we could complain about, there's no doubt about it. There are also some things to be thankful for and today I am choosing to focus on them.

I appreciate the brotherhood. Even when personalities clash, the guys (and gals) still have each others' backs. I'm trusting my husband's health and life to people I've never met, so I'm very thankful they can get over any little issues they might have and "be there" when its important. They might share "words" (that's a Southern way of sayin' they argued), but then they share a meal in the same shift. This, I like.

I appreciate the sisterhood. That might be a stretch, in a way, but that's the best way I can describe it. Shane worked with an officer--one of the female variety--and since I'm such a great wife and struggle with absolutely zero jealousy issues, I was fine with Shane bringing up her name from time to time. I promise. Really.

Okay, okay, not so really. However, when I met her, I was smitten with her myself ;)

I've only met this officer once, but when we met, she took the initiative to approach me and introduce herself. In that moment, when she shook my hand, I knew it was cool. She & her guy, Shane and I visited later that day over lunch and she's a great story teller with a magnetic personality. I can really see why Shane enjoys working with her. Her directness with me put me at ease. As a matter of fact, I'd love to get together with her again, so Susan, if you're reading this someday, kick Shane in the pants and make him get us all together again!

They may be a motley crew, but they take "being there" seriously. When the brother of an officer Shane works with at the SO found himself burying his older brother quite suddenly, the SO was there. They found out there was little family and the funeral would be attended by only a few, so many of the officers showed up-most in uniform. Even two or three honor guard members made the trip two days in a row to bless their friend and his family. I was moved when I saw that not only did the SO make up about half of the total number of funeral attendees, but the honor guard was in full dress (turtle neck and all) in the baking hot Texas summer sun. They'd never met the man who died, by the way. Guys, that's "being there".

In my own little world, I appreciate the guys and gals who watch out for Shane and put up with him every day. I've only met a few of you, but that doesn't change my respect for you. Thanks ;)

No comments: